Chicago is packed with experienced, trusted health and fitness experts who are ready to help you live your BEST Chicago healthy lifestyle. Whether you’re stuck in a rut and need something new, or are new to your fitness journey, here are multiple tips to elevate your fitness and health lifestyle. All tips provided below come from Chicago’s most knowledgable, approachable, communicative, and professional trainers and pros in the country.
1. Kate Ryan - Meditation Instructor
"Mental health should be as much of a priority as your physical health. It can be as easy as 1,2,3!
1. Take some time each day for breathwork. Begin simply by inhaling through your nose and exhaling with an open mouth 3 times. This moment of mindfulness will help clear out the mental cobwebs and change the energy within.
2. Eyes need a rest, too. Re-charge once an hour from screen time with some natural light. Move your workspace near a window or step outside for a change of scenery!
3. Meditation. This doesn't have to be daunting! You can start with 2 minutes of guided visualization.”
2. Christy Pemrick - Yoga Instructor
“I like to switch up my workouts. Staying consistent with working out is important, but equally as important is switching up the routine. It prevents burnout, complacency, and boredom, works different muscles, makes it fun, and learning new things promotes brain stimulation. Once you return to your preferred form of workout, you’ll feel re-energized, excited, inspired, and stronger for it.”
3. Matt Holden - Personal Trainer, Nutrition Coach and Owner of Archetype CrossFit
“1. Know your goals. Take the time to figure out what you really want from your fitness and commit to achieving it. When you have a clear picture of what you want to achieve, each workout becomes more effective and you make progress faster.
2. Embrace the Process. Results take time. There is no shortcut to getting lean or bulking up, you have to put the work in week after week. Rather than obsessing about your progress to your end goal (you may not see much progress at all for the first 2-4 weeks), focus on executing your daily and weekly plan. Hitting your goal of 4 workouts per week for 4 weeks in a row is an awesome accomplishment! Staying on track with your eating for 2 weeks in a row without any major lapses is a huge win too! Take pride in your habits and routines and you will see big results before you know it.
3. Find Support. You will encounter setbacks, challenges, and doubts along your fitness journey- we all do. Set your future up for success by getting some support and structure around your fitness. You can get a workout buddy with similar goals to commit to the same program, you can join a group training gym like Archetype CrossFit or you can get a personal trainer. Each one of these options will get you to support from other people who also want the best for you. They will help you stay motivated and on track, even on the days you're not feeling it.”
4. Nicole Wodka - Owner & Physical Therapist at Emerge Physical Therapy & Wellness
“Move a little each day and be mindful with your movement!”
5. Tami Conway - Owner of SALT Studio
“I work out 4-5 days a week and make it non-negotiable. I plan my week's Sundays, put the classes I am going to take in my calendar, and commit to classes as if I would be committing to a meeting. I look at working out as time for me, time to feel good, and time to reflect instead of something I "have" to do. For some reason, the mindset of working out as a gift helps me to show up and do it! I give myself the weekends off, to rest and reset and will go on walks or meditate instead of doing an intense workout. I drink 3 full water bottles a day, starting with the first one with Throne to set me up with success for my day and my workouts. This helps me with energy throughout the day and instead of snacking, I continue to drink my water to keep me full and hydrated.”
Head over to CHI-SOCIETY.com to discover the best of Chicago Health & Fitness!